All these things, that force me to make the rounds of the house everyday and move piles from one drawer/shelf to another, arrived last Tuesday. I was so excited to see everything. It was like Christmas. And figuring that our last one was lacking a bit because we were in mid-move, it made for opening all the boxes very exciting. And emotional....I actually cried when I opened the first box that made it's way into the house and discovered that it contained all my cookbooks. The smell of our old fabric softener on my clothes, the chip on one of our wine glasses from our old dishwasher, the red Georgia clay on my old pair of running shoes. Even the last minute box, whose contents were haphazardly thrown together (ice pack, pair of socks, lid to our milk carafe because I found it after the actual carafe was packed away in another box) as the movers yelled out in our old house, "Anything else?! The truck is leaving!" Every box, bittersweet.
At the same time, as if all the planets aligned, the rental company showed up to pack up the house of our temporary furnishings. Good bye rock hard mattress, crappy kitchen knives, tiny sofa, itchy sheets, vacuum that sucked (and not in a good way) and bath towels that just kind of moved the water around your body and didn't actually absorb it. The incoming moving crew helped the outgoing moving crew to get the house emptied as soon as possible.
The doors opened...no water. I see many boxes! And they all say Grover! Relief!!
So for now, the kitchen and family room are 98% set up. The bedrooms are a work in progress. We have wardrobes to put together before they can be done. Bedrooms don't come with built in closets so we still have clothing in boxes. Mostly summer stuff, which I laugh at even sending. Even if I change outfits three times a day I think I'll only get about a months use out of them here. But I venture to say that I'd rather have that, than change outfits three times a day that I've sweat through because it's so hot and humid!
People have asked for pictures and I've given a couple of Skype video tours on the laptop. But as I said, I like to have a place for everything and everything in it's place.... so y'all will have to wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment