Wednesday, January 4, 2012

We have arrived!

I have no idea how many people actually read my blog, but I have been waiting patiently to update it.  If only to get my thoughts written down to clear my head for new stuff.  But, we've had no internet connection for the laptop (no wi-fi to tap into when your neighbor has stone walls about 3 feet thick) and there was no way I'd be able to type as much as I wanted using a cell phone (spotty service at best).  Fortunately a nice chap at Steve's work has lent him a wireless internet dongle so now we have a connection while we are in the middle of nowhere.  So, let's start from the beginning.....

Checking in at the Atlanta airport was interesting.  With two kids, 12 suitcases, 4 carry-on's, a bike box and 4 heavy coats (we came prepared for the cold when we would eventually land) it took about half an hour at the check-in counter.  Boarding was also interesting (see above note pertaining to kids, carry-on's and coats).  Unfortunately, Steve and Mark were not seated next to Jack and myself.  But with the efforts of all the French flight attendants, they found a couple of passengers that were willing to switch.  Merci!

Shortly after take-off they served dinner and I have to say, I have never seen Mark so giddy.  He gets excited anytime food in served (like his Mama) but to have a tray with all these little compartments containing various items, he was beside himself.  The same thing happened when breakfast was served before we landed in Paris.  "Jack! Did you see the cheese?!"  "Jack!  Did you see the hot chocolate?!", etc, etc.  So cute.

When we arrived at the Newcastle airport we were supposed to have a driver pick us up with a van.  My biggest fear was that they didn't get the note that we'd have as much luggage as we did and would show up driving some speck of a car like a Fiat.  But, no, it was a van.  Unfortunately the driver didn't wait for us as long as a family of four, with 33.58% of their worldly possessions, would take to get through customs and baggage claim....so he left.  But after a couple of phone calls he made it back and we begun our journey to the picturesque English countryside.

Can I just say that I almost tossed my cookies driving to this picturesque English countryside?  All those roundabouts and driving on the opposite side of the road?  Ugh.  Plus, don't forget he was a taxi driver after all, and they're known for being a little more spirited while driving.  Luckily we made it in one piece with a clean shirt for myself.  The town we are staying in at the moment is actually a hamlet...too small to be called a village believe it or not.  It is called Ingoe and it is truly something.  As I stated on FB, the cottage is a renovated farmhouse.  Four separate living areas for four farm families (that worked the land) have been combined into one, open plan home.  The home that the owners live in right next door was where the people that owned the land lived....over 300 years ago.

We were invited to spend a few hours on New Year's Eve with the Scott-Bells (the owners) in their home.  The first question I asked was "Is this place haunted?"  Just kidding...it was, like, the third thing I asked.  Just making sure people!  Their kids, Thomas (12) and twins Tess and Anna (11) were so polite and were excited to hear about America.  Naturally, we were excited to hear about England so we spent a good bit of time swapping stories while we we hung out in their family room putting a puzzle together by the fireplace.  A great night.  I even had some champagne.  I know...shocker!

Over the past couple of days we have stayed busy exploring, learning to drive (I'll create a separate post for that!) and running errands.  Which, funny enough, the kids hate doing here as much as they did in the states!  Go figure!  Steve started work Wednesday, the kids start school Friday and we move into the house (in an actual town this time) on Monday.  Busy days ahead, but I will post as often as I can.  I have tried to upload some pictures with the blog, but connection speed is so slow I will have to later.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment